The Air Navigation Commission defines aviation safety as the state of freedom from unacceptable risk of injury to persons or damage to aircraft and property.
Key to aviation safety is proper equipment. VIH Aviation Group strives to provide its staff with the very best in personal protective equipment (PPE) by:
- exceeding industry standards (Transport Canada/FAA);
- exceeding industry standards (OHSA /Canada Labour Code);
- communicating and sharing helicopter industry best practices;
- researching new and innovative safety equipment;
- assisting manufactures with trials and competency standards, such as the fall restraint/protection initiative with Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation; an
- attending safety workshops, seminars and conventions
VIH Aviation Group maintains a strict auditing, monitoring and management review system to proactively manage safety on a daily basis. We also have an online reporting system that enables us to track trends in order to mitigate any potentially harmful actions or behaviours that may normally go undetected.
As a good corporate citizen, we deems it important to work with others in the industry promoting aviation safety worldwide. As a result, we are involved with various safety committees: the Helicopter Association of Canada (HAC), the International Helicopter Safety Team (IHST) and the Helicopter Association International (HAI) Offshore Committee to name a few.
VIH Aviation Group also has a formal aviation safety management program, an aviation safety committee and each base has a base aviation safety officer; all overseen by the director of safety and quality.